Monday, January 21, 2008

Shitty First Drafts.

Anne Lamott's essay had a pretty good hold on my very own writing style. Whenever I right a first draft of anything I basically think onto paper. Every thought, run on sentence, made up and misspelled word ends up scribbled in sloppy handwriting on my "shitty first draft". I feel that rough drafts are much needed when writing anything, and this isn’t because there could be many mistakes and all work needs to be revised, but I feel you can almost express yourself more. With a rough draft there are absolutely no limitations what so ever, because no one is going to see it and it’s your very own. I mean if people saw what some of my rough drafts looked like, I’m almost positive they would think I’m crazy. By having these "shitty rough drafts" it allows you to get anything and everything you might think of down onto paper before you forget your last thought. I know there has been many of times where I have had the most amazing idea and then I somehow manage to instantaneously forget it. Revision is key to my writing style. It’s actually kind of cool to see, sometimes as I revise and begin to type my final draft I get even more brilliant ideas for my paper. Sometimes my final draft is even almost completely different than my rough draft. But all in all Anne Lammott's idea of the “shitty first draft" is an almost essential technique for myself and basically anyone writing a paper. A "shitty first draft" is not only a tool, but a secretly weapon for any writer.

1 comment:

Miss Villegas said...

Good reflection. Sounds like you know the importance of brainstorming and revision as part of the writing process. Keep it up!