Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Turn On Gender Roles

A woman carrying a man, something I know I thought that I would never see. This picture is a perfect example of defying sterotypical gender roles. As the public knows, it is always common to see men carrying women around; you see superheroes carrying women in distress out of danger, you see grooms always picking up their new brides, it has always just been, men carrying women. This picture defies that role. It shows the women somewhat fierce and strong, kind of saying “I can do this” or “I don’t need you to pick me up”. Then we have the man who has kind of a feminine look to his face, like “Oh how nice”. This picture is basically saying women can do it. Women can be just as strong as men. I like how this picture contradicts the typical gender role. I know I personally am a firm believer of equality. I believe that women can do almost anything that a man can do, if not the same, maybe even better. Gender roles are a bit degrading for me, being a woman and all. Like for instance the show Desperate House Wives, what is that? Its basically showing young girls that they are going to grow up to serve a man, and then get bored with it and become pernicious. I feel that it degrades women completely, like why don’t any of them have successful jobs and are humble and honest to their spouses. The show is also a great example of gender roles because the husband is out working, while the woman is a house wife. The picture displayed at the top, of the woman carrying the man, entirely contradicts the sterotypical gender roles and that’s why I loved it.








No comments: